Job Posting: Children's Ministry Leader
Are you called to join us in ministry with children at Incarnation?
The Episcopal Church of the Incarnation in Santa Rosa, California, is seeking a new part-time Children’s Ministry Leader as we re-launch our children’s ministry programs after the pandemic shutdown. This position is expected to be 6-10 hours/week. Annual pay range is $10,000 to $15,000 depending on experience. The position is currently funded for one year. Our intention is for time commitment and compensation to grow with the program, tracked with an annual review.
The staff member will work under the direct supervision of the Director of Spiritual Formation. The Director will mentor the new staff member, providing initial as well as ongoing training and professional development advice and opportunities. The new staff member will collaborate closely with her, and will also work with the Rector, parents and family members of children, volunteer children’s ministry leaders, nursery staff, and the Spiritual Formation Committee. Meeting commitments will include weekly check-ins with the Director; monthly meetings with the Director and Rector; and quarterly meetings with parents and other stakeholders. Regular meetings can be remote or will be held consecutively with regular work hours.
Initial responsibilities will include:
- Develop and lead our children’s chapel program for 4-10 year olds.
- Select readings, songs, and sermons, using “Come and Worship” curriculum as well as other resources we may discern together.
- Lead Children’s Chapel most Sundays, including leading children in scripture, songs, and prayer; offering an interactive children’s sermon; and shepherding children to return to the Liturgy of the Table in church.
- Coordinate adult volunteers to assist in the ministry.
- Represent our children and families in the planning of parish-wide events or festivals.
- Additional responsibilities will be added as additional programs can be added based on our staff and volunteer capacity. Some ideas might include:
- Additional children’s formation on Sundays, or on weekdays after school. We have both Godly Play and Beulah Land curricula and materials available, and we have a few Godly Play teachers with past experience in the congregation.
- Special children’s services and/or formation events for feast days.
- Summer formation activities.
- Well-grounded and robust Christian faith, with the ability to articulate it with children.
- Ability to respond to the learning and spiritual needs of a broad range of children.
- Ability to keep the attention of a broad range of children.
- Ability to sing and lead songs with children (playing an instrument would be a plus).
- Familiarity with digital tools for coordinating volunteers (such as digital calendars, cloud-based collaboration apps, etc).
- Willing to endorse, support, and teach Christian faith and practice in the Episcopal tradition.
- Being an Episcopalian is not a requirement, but a basic familiarity with this tradition, a positive supportive stance, and a willingness to learn is.
- Flexibility and creativity to adapt to pandemic conditions, potentially including outdoor ministry and other creative adaptations.
- Able to affirm congregational values around inclusion of all ethnic backgrounds, gender identities, and sexual orientations.
- Familiarity with sacramental/liturgical Christian traditions.
- Training in Godly Play or similar programs in childhood Christian formation.
- Openness to growing with this position over time as we expand our children’s offerings beyond Children’s Chapel.
Candidates will need to pass a background check and undergo all required Safe Church training before beginning the position (training hours will be paid).
Applications will be reviewed starting August 1. Applications after that date are still welcome until the position is filled.
Send the following materials by email to Daphne Vernon, Director of Spiritual Formation, at [email protected]:
- A cover letter describing what excites you about this ministry.
- A résumé.
- Two or more references who can talk about your experience working with children.